Residents of the 10th District need Congress to untie the President’s hands so we can put our people back to work. Those of you in Hudson, Union, and Essex counties know that our roads, bridges, local transportation and communications infrastructure are in need of maintenance and repair. We also have one of the greatest locations in America for high-tech, manufacturing, and financial businesses to establish themselves. As a Newark Councilman, I have written legislation and supported policies that have saved taxpayer dollars and hundreds of jobs. I have started economic development initiatives that have created jobs and that provided for growth in both the private sector and civil service.
As someone trained in the law, as a life-long resident of this district, and as West Ward Councilman, I know how to develop policies that are good for the 10th District. My record is progressive and has always been innovative, yet economically sound. As your Congressman, I will:
- Support passage of the Emergency Jobs to Restore the American Dream Act and the 21st Century Full Employment and Training Act as they provide for direct Government intervention in the depressed labor market
- Support the Expansion of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act if the economic recovery shows any signs of slowing down
- Support the growth of high-technology U.S. manufacturing capacity and supply clean energy projects with American-made parts and equipment with tax incentives to and investments in clean energy technologies such as wind turbines and advanced car batteries
- Support President Obama’s Advanced Manufacturing Partnership, a national effort to invest in technologies that will create high-quality manufacturing jobs and enhance America’s global competitiveness
- Support the Restore the American Dream for the 99% Act, specifically for its provisions that require materials for government contracts to be manufactured in the U.S. and creates an Infrastructure Bank that will allow private sector partnering with regions, states and localities to create infrastructure projects
- Support initiatives that will create green economy jobs to replace manufacturing jobs as they are the jobs of the future that will employ large populations of district residents and cannot be outsourced overseas for large urban areas
- Support small business tax credits and incentives, especially for “symbiotic” businesses that will serve as a multiplier for new businesses and ensure their long term success and profitability
- Host regular Town Hall Meetings in all 3 counties within the district that bring local and national employers and job training opportunities for attending residents
- Maintain a job posting/listing portion on my official congressional website with links to opportunities
We have hard working, dedicated people in this district, and I promise to make your economic interests one of my main priorities. You can count on me to make the case in Washington that the 10th District offers a phenomenal return on investment to the rest of the country.